Saturday, December 18, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repealed, But it Ain't Over

The country is moving forward finally with properly beginning to deal with the varied sexualities of the nation. Or at the very least, opening a more tolerant climate in the military for all colors of the rainbow is on the books.

But as a black woman, I must tell. No, I must warn my LGBT community about the limits of laws. A change in law does not necessarily change the minds and actions of a people.

Just ask or observe the teabaggers. And recently, the GOP who gave good a lashing to their once favored, porch monkey Michael Steel.

On another level, please note that this piece of legislation is purely political. There really isn't a lot of desire for gay boys and gay girls, to hold hands and hug straight boys and straight girls on the mountaintop. Really, the pols don't give two shits about anyone. Not even Gaga's crazy ass. Yeah, yeah her speeches were nice, but backdoor deals are the reason behind this DADT repeal.  The pols are attempting to save the remnants of already ripped anuses.

My LGBT folk, you will have to advocate and educate a whole helluva lot more to secure tolerable environments. And please white gay and lesbian people, please stop being racist and exclusive.

On the other hand, please steer clear of Bishop Eddie Long Stroke. It appears that he is attempting to quietly hush up his past man-mistresses by settling the lawsuit. Oops, I mean "sons". And let the black church say amen. And please note that Long Stroke is still in the closet about his homosexual lifestyle as well as his bad toupee.

2 ish talking intellectuals holla at a sista:

Reggie said...

You're so wrong for making fun of Bishop Long; besides, you know damned well that an 18 year old is too old for him.

I've always thought that it was rather interesting that in a nation supposedly founded on freedoms and liberty and all the rest of that bullshit; that you'd have people attempting to deny basic rights to people who happened to love people that looked like them. The more you think about it, the more you have to sit back and say.....isn't that really stupid?!?

I have worked in management for more than 20 years since graduating from college and there have been gays and lesbians in every single office I've ever worked in. Nowadays they're more open than they were in the past about their sexuality and I would think that they'd be happier now than ever before. Don't get me wrong, there will always be prejudice out there, but it's gotta be easier for a gay or lesbian person to live and work now than it was in the past. I've worked with some extremely narrow minded people over the years and I've heard some rather crude things. It's my experience that when people hate, they don't just hate one particular dynamic....they're prone to hate everyone that doesn't look, act or think like they do.

Whenever I hear anyone make a comment about any particular group or dynamic, I'm always wary of them.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

My sense of history tells me the DADT as a law or policy is done,but peoples attitudes and hearts is another animal that can't be change with the passage of a law.