Monday, August 31, 2009

Smoking Guns, Incest, Precious and the Black Community


When I heard this song, "Smoking Gun" by Jada Kiss featuring Jazzmine Sullivan, I loved the sound of the collaboration, but when I listened to the lyrics today, I have been bumping this non-stop.



The song is about love and how to love someone who is deeply scarred after childhood trauma.

It is very, very rare for a mainstream artist, and an R&B artist who is trying hard to put her foot in the "mainstream" genre to make a song that is Bold and Courageous. I totally applaud this work. In the age where a hip-hop song on the radio usually talks about the top three categories of drugs, sex, money, and senseless violence, we have a little fresh air.

This song explores how a black couple deals with one of them being a survivor of incest. In "Smoking Gun" Jada Kiss works through how he can protect and love a woman who has been sexually and emotionally abused by her step-father and the act condoned by her mother.

Jada ensures the young lady that if anyone ever touches her again, he would surely put them thangs on'em.

Now, some people would say, Oh Ecosoul, you are promoting violence and this is such a wrong message. The proper thing is to call the authorities and let them handle it.

Oh hell naw.

If this ever happened to me or mine, before the police car tire tracks head out to my house, I got a personal authority called Smith, last named Wesson, middle name Roscoe who handles and settles sick sh*t like this. Self-defense.

And, if black men would openly check other black men in their treatment of women, all females, and even those who are not physically capable to defend themselves like boys, then the caliber of black men and black manhood would be collectively elevated.

My father once requested that I pass along this message to the man in my life. He said, "Tell'em if he messes with you, I got a one way ticket for him...to God."

Now, this is a perfect example of brothers holding up other brothers to a caliber of manhood that is needed in our communities.

It is about time a song like "Smoking Gun" came out because black women are some of the most vulnerable species in the US, especially in the areas of abuse, and in particular, incest.

Incest in the black community is hardly addressed openly or in the home; therefore, there are millions of black men and women walking around with wide open, unhealed wounds.

"Smoking Gun" inspired me to check on the movie, Precious, that deals with abuse in a black home. Based on the novel Push by Sapphire, this movie stars Mo'Nique and Mariah Carey.

I don't know how closely the book follows the movie, but the book is about a teen mother who is in a forced sexually relationship with her father (or stepfather) and produces two children that are special needs. Her mother knows about the abuse, but abuses the daughter as well. The book was so grotesque and explicit I had to put it down quite a few times, but it is a needed read.

I found the trailer to Precious so you can check it out. This is a go-see for the subject alone, but reports have said that it absolutely blew Sundance Film Fest out of the water.

Click the movie's still photo of Mo'Nique (or click onto her name here) to check out the trailer. Blog on, EcoSci.

1 ish talking intellectuals holla at a sista:

ayankha said...

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I think you are right on target for encouraging Black males to check each other.

I hope this post and the movie helps those survivors heal!