Saturday, May 7, 2011

When a Black Athlete Thinketh . . .

I love it when a brother shows he is not bound to any status quo contract. Now go and get the lawyer for the Dixie Chicks. And stay out of the strip clubs to keep your money up.
Biggups to Rashard Mendenhall for showing that he refuses to be a mis-educated negro, by simply stating his opinion.

Instead of being a 40 million dollar slave, he is priceless. He questioned the "Bin Laden is dead debauchery" that is currently unfolding as a botched political move. As a result, he lost his endorsement to Champion.

His quote:

“What kind of person celebrates death? It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side…”

Of course, he was bitch-slapped by his organization, the black and yellow (honey bees in my opinion) and shut down by the league.

Mendenhall, bravo and EcoSoul says, "fuck'em". Just go ahead and buy some property in Detroit and pimp the land and row houses out. They need a black man who is uncompromising.

What happened to the Jim Brown's of the NFL?

4 ish talking intellectuals holla at a sista:

Reggie said...

I'm a Steelers fan, a long time Steelers fan. I wasn't put off by what he said, but I figured there would be repercussions.

If he hadn't fumbled the ball in the 4th quarter of the SuperBowl....we'd have won, no doubt. Still, he's got a lot of heart and I respect him for speaking his mind. I was disappointed to hear him back track after he made his original statement. I figured he was screwed regardless.....and he was.

Eco.Soul.Intellectual said...

Yes Reggie. I do agree, but I am so happy that he let the gut feeling take hold of him and speak out on Twitter. It's a step.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

To tell you how confused some people here in Pittsburgh are some are declaring he has no right to free speech since he wear the colors of the local football team.
I too wished he stuck to his guns and not backed tracked!

Reggie said...

My wife and I actually argued about this very topic before Mendenhall stepped on his dick on Twitter.

My wife thought it was in poor taste for people to go out and celebrate at the death of someone....anyone. I told her I thought it was in poor taste as well, but maybe she should lower her voice while we were out and about since I didn't want to have to put anyone in an early grave. I was happy the bastard was dead, but it's not like I was going to take to the streets to celebrate. If you remember on 9/11 there were images of Palestinians and other Arabs and Persians (I've been chastised about not making the distinction) going into the streets and celebrating the attack on the US....and that fueled anger both here and abroad. If they were wrong to do it, then so were we. I understand the spontaneous chants of USA at sporting events, but I don't understand people taking to the streets chanting hate speech and saying some of the other disturbing things I heard. I remember Caucasians I know and worked with saying similar hateful shit on 9/11.

Maybe we're not so different afterall?!?